Which is the most adventurous country in South America? This is one of those questions that simply doesn’t have an answer. It really depends on your definition of “adventurous.” But if it were put to a poll, there is a strong possibility that Ecuador would top the list.
Why you ask? I say this because, being a country with many flavours, Ecuador has something for everyone. To illustrate this point, here are five highly contrasting experiences one can enjoy during adventure travel in Ecuador.
- Hiking the rim of the crater lake of Cuicocha before biking downhill through small indigenous villages
- Horseback riding through the foothills of Cotopaxi, one of the highest active volcanoes in the world
- Whitewater rafting down the rushing waves of the Jatunyacu River
- Innertubing down the calm Anzu River past remote jungle and indigenous villages
- Soaking in the therapeutic thermal hot springs of Papallacta
Each of these showcases a different side of Ecuador, shedding insight on the layered experience that adventure hungry travellers will find.
And the flavours don’t end there. Ecuador’s diverse set of cuisine is as bountiful as the abundant wildlife. In fact, Ecuador has over 300 different species of animals including monkeys, sloths, anteaters, armadillos, and rabbits. Its adventure-profile is extended even further by accommodating a safe and fun form of family adventure travel.