Everyone’s heard about the massive earthquake in Haiti last night. It’s a tragedy that this has happened to a country that has already struggled for so long as the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere.
If you want to help Haiti’s people, there are dozens of organizations that are accepting monetary donations on the country’s behalf. Some of the quickest ways to send relief right now:
If you live in the US
- Donate $10 to the Red Cross relief effort immediately by texting “HAITI” to “90999″. You will see the charge on your next cell phone bill.
- Click HERE for the American Red Cross’ Donation Page. Select ‘International Response Fund’ to contribute to the Haiti rescue mission.
- For a list of other US organizations that are helping out in rescue efforts, click HERE.
If you live outside of the US
- To make a donation in Euros or Francs, click HERE for the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies’ Donation Page.
- To make a donation in Canadian dollars, click HERE for the Canadian Red Cross Donation Page or call 1-800-418-1111 (toll free) with your credit card information.
- To donate to UNICEF’s Earthquake in Haiti relief fund from anywhere in the world in your currency, click HERE. You will be asked to select a specific type of relief effort you would like to contribute to.
During world crises like this, it’s sad to think that there are people who might take advantage of the situation for their own gain; but it does happen. Please be wary of smaller unknown organizations claiming to send 100% of all your donations to the relief efforts in Haiti. The best way to make the biggest positive impact is to donate to well-known and established relief organizations like the Red Cross and UNICEF. They are the ones that have the infrastructure in place to make a significant difference right away.
All our best to the people of Haiti,
The Team at BikeHike